- 25 Jun 2019
Leg cramps during the night most often happen in the calf, feet and thighs and it can last from few seconds to few minutes.
After the leg spasm passes, muscle soreness may last longer. Both men and ladies can encounter leg spasms and they happen more frequently in grown-ups older than 50 years.
Leg cramps at night are different from restless leg syndrome
Both nighttime leg spasms and RLS happen during night. However, there are contrasts between them, including:
– RLS does not bring about cramping and pain, while cramps do.
– RLS is a crawling feeling in your legs.
– RLS makes you move the legs, while cramps prevent you from moving.
– If you move the leg in RLS, it will help – if you move the leg while having cramp, it won’t.
Risk factors and causes of night leg cramps
The correct reason for cramps is frequently not known, however, the causes and hazard components of cramps include:
– Improper sitting
– Over-effort of the muscles
– Sitting for long time
– Working or standing on concrete floors
Other conditions, as well, can add to nighttime cramps, for example,
– Flat feet
– Parkinson’s disease
– Diuretics, statins,